Saturday, March 3, 2012

Paleo Almond Flour Bread

So being a 'caveperson' I don't really miss bread THAT much, though sometimes I just really want a sando (thats short for sandwich in case you are wondering)! And I miss French Toast more than anything else, which I'm going to try this bread as French Toast at some point in time and see how it comes out. Anywho, today my friend Eric was talking about the almond bread at CrossFit I made awhile back and I got a sudden craving to make it again! (And he made some amazing coconut bars that I might of eaten 3 of at the WOD today...recipe please!)

So bread is always a hard one, since I've read so many bad reviews of them. I wanted to find a recipe that had been made a lot, had good reviews, didn't have tons of ingredients I haven't heard of, and the person that made up the recipe had a lot of tweaking until they could get it right. That brought me to Elana's Pantry's website. They have lots of great gluten free recipes on the site and an almond(paleo) bread recipe that looked good. And on top of it she mentioned she had been working on this recipe for a few months...sounds good to me!

RECIPE: http://www.elanaspantry.com/paleo-bread/

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup almond flour (don't use Bob's, I got mine from Whole Foods)
2 Tablespoons coconut flour
1/4 cup golden flaxseed meal
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
5 eggs
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 Tablespoon honey
1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar

I followed the recipe pretty much to the T, other than I didn't feel like getting my food processor out. It still worked out fine. I just really hate cleaning that thing, its a pain, and for this recipe I really didn't think it was necessary as long as you whisk the hell out of it. I also got the bread pan that they actually recommend for making this Loaf it is a 7.5" x 3.5" Magic Line Loaf Pan. It is weird measurements, but it is what is recommended, so I'm not sure how it would come out in a regular bread pan, but its worth a try.  I put it in the oven at 350 for 30min.

The top got nice and brown and crispy and a little springy when you would press down on it once it was done. Once again I have no patience, so I waited only 5 minutes until I cut out a slice. So the bread is pretty dense, and is more of bread I would put some butter and agave on and pop in the microwave for a little treat. Super yummy! For a paleo bread it is fantastic. It would be hard to use it for a sandwich, but it could be possible, but I don't think I'd use it for that. I'm going to try French Toast with it most likely and have it has a snack with some butter! I think this bread is probably one of the best easy paleo bread recipe, but I make it on rare occasions since it does use a lot of eggs and almond flour. Now I have to try and not finish the bread in a day! I'll let you know how the French Toast goes!! Oh and I feel like all these cooking sites have professionals take pictures of their food or something, because I have found my food never looks at good, let me know if you hava better luck!

Smaller sized Loaf, but still good. 
YUM!!, though doesn't look anything like her picture..AGAIN!

Congrats to everyone that finished 12.2 WOD of the CrossFit Games...Snatches are hard (enter jokes here).  It was so much fun cheering everyone on at CrossFit Soco. Have a great weekend, I'm off skiing for awhile :-)    

1 comment:

  1. Life is like a battle, if you don't know how to defend yourself then you'll end up being a loser. So, better take any challenges as your stepping stone to become a better person. Have fun, explore and make a lot of memories.

    n8fan.net

    www.n8fan.net

    ReplyDelete